Thursday, July 31, 2014

Taking Requests



It has been a very long time since I have performed music in front of anything resembling a crowd. (Some stuff from the two thousands: https://myspace.com/theathensfusioncollective/music/songs) In fact, about 8 months ago I decided to sell a bunch of performance type gear in order to be able to buy an imac, knowing that the family man I am, would have to focus on recording music in lieu of performing. We are talking about parting with thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment that I used over the course of multiple bands and recording ventures – in summation, not easy to part with for nostalgic reasons mostly. Oddly enough I got an email recently inviting me to perform at a church where the quote unquote crowd could number in the double digits! -Circa 12 at most. And while that is at once satisfying and puts a little of the good butterflies in my stomach, it can’t compare to what happened this morning.

The baby had gone to sleep and Mom was upstairs getting ready so it was just me and the toddler in the living room with Curious George. Knowing I have the church gig coming up I decided to grab the acoustic and run through a tune or two for kicks and giggles. I recently learned Bruno Mars’ When I Was Your Man and am contemplating it for the church gig. So I grab the acoustic from the dining room and stroll into the living room and run through the first verse and chorus when my toddler, who I thought was paying absolutely no attention to me, turned toward me and said “do it again.” I smiled as wide as the Panama Canal and said “oh, you want another verse, sure thing buddy!” Now the little guy has liked some of the things I’ve picked in the past but never really requested anything.

So while I know I’m no musician and certainly shouldn’t even be trying to sing Bruno Mars, I’m officially taking requests.

Thank you Ju Ju, you made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...