Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It's Not The Same Sir



Thinking about the University of Oklahoma/SAE Incident

By now you’ve seen/heard/read about the fraternity members singing a racist chant at the University of Oklahoma. And now the requisite apologies and requisite reactions to said apologies are happening.

One thing that hit me right away when I saw the video: they were taught the chant.

But the national headquarters:
“By early Monday, the fraternity had a strong statement apologizing “for the unacceptable and racist behavior of the individuals in the video, and we are disgusted that any member would act in such a way,” and announcing that the national headquarters had closed the chapter at the University of Oklahoma, all the members were suspended and those responsible could have membership permanently revoked.”
Isn’t it possible, moreover likely, that the chant was handed down by other men of SAE? If so, why are they disgusted that any member would act in such a way? Seems hypocritical.

Now onto the apology from one member who led the chant, Parker Rice:
"I am deeply sorry for what I did Saturday night. It was wrong and reckless. I made a horrible mistake by joining into the singing and encouraging others to do the same. On Monday, I withdrew from the university, and sadly, at this moment our family is not able to be in our home because of threatening calls as well as frightening talk on social media.
"I know everyone wants to know why or how this happened. I admit it likely was fueled by alcohol consumed at the house before the bus trip, but that's not an excuse. Yes, the song was taught to us, but that too doesn't work as an explanation. It's more important to acknowledge what I did and what I didn't do. I didn't say no, and I clearly dismissed an important value I learned at my beloved high school, Dallas Jesuit. We were taught to be 'Men for Others.' I failed in that regard, and in those moments, I also completely ignored the core values and ethics I learned from my parents and others."
Rice added, "For me, this is a devastating lesson and I am seeking guidance on how I can learn from this and make sure it never happens again. My goal for the long-term is to be a man who has the heart and the courage to reject racism wherever I see or experience it in the future."

This isn’t too interesting to me but some of the trolling is:

Accept the apologies but have them work at a soup kitchen or some outreach programs for a few months. Let these kids see what it is like not to be privileged.
Just a suggestion. They absolutely need to live in someone else's shoes for a while.

This series got me thinking about empathy, which means standing in someone else’s shoes. The commenter’s idea is that if they do some community service, like work in a soup kitchen, they will be able to empathize.

Which got me thinking about an old 80’s movie called Soul Man with C. Thomas Howell.

Here is the storyline from IMDB
Mark doesn't expect any problems in going to college: he and his friend have reserved places in Harvard and his parents have the money to pay for his education there. But suddenly his father's neurotic psychiatrist advises him to go on vacation in Hawaii instead of spending more money on his son. Since Mark wants to keep his lifestyle, including a fancy car and a flat shared with his friend, he seeks financial support. The only foundation which still accepts applications is for blacks only -- no problem, with lots of bronzing pills and "soul in his voice" he sets out to Harvard. Soon he has to realize that being black will cause some people to handle him differently.

(Keep in mind that the character is in black face)

So after Mark experiences the indignities and impact of racism under black face he becomes the hero BUT the upshot of the film is that true empathy is impossible:


Working in a soup kitchen is also not the same and never forget that we show our character most when we think no one is watching.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/university-of-oklahoma-to-announce-outcome-of-fraternity-inv#.kerOJmo2J4

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...