Friday, April 3, 2015

No Quarter After Tub Time



While giving the tots a bath last night my wife was inexplicably humming mmmbop by Hanson. That late 90’s tune that was so ubiquitous it was spoofed on SNL. So I ask how that got in her head, the toddler hears me ask, then he asks, then the next thing you know we’re searching youtube for mmmbop, then listening to mmbop.



So the wife takes the baby out and I’m drying the toddler and start thinking, what could I play that would be the exact opposite of the uber catchy mmmbop. And just like that a memory rushed in: I played LedZeppelin’s No Quarter for a bandmate years ago and she said it frightened her. To this day I think about this and marvel at the incredible range of Zeppelin. They could do so much, so well and No Quarter stands out as this haunting, epic, eerie tune that gets inside you and festers, doesn’t sit well, worries you. Name a band that can create a song like that, and also create a pop tune like All Of My Love or a rolling tune like Hot Dog? Few and far between my friends. And these are just a few examples mind you. I challenge you to find a band with more range than Led Zeppelin. I'm listening.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...