Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Naturally



If you want to differentiate between nature and wild, be my guest.
I have made a few enemies in my life stating that there is nothing unnatural. This truth is so obvious and yet so ire inducing to modern paradigms.
Be that as it may, I do like to take a walk in the woods or on a beach… and separate myself from the present dins and whatnot.
So I did, with my two sons, on president’s day.
And it was glorious.
I got the idea the morning of president’s day as I knew my wife would be out all day and I would have to come up with things for us to do.
So when it became apparent that my youngest wasn’t going to nap as he yelled “papa” for what felt like eight hours, I coated, hatted, and gloved them up and told them “rule number one for walking in the woods”:
                Stay close to papa
On the drive there I mentioned rule number one again and quizzed them.
                Stay close to papa

We get there and my oldest darts off like a dragon fly in heat.
Rule number one might as well have been cruel cummerbund for all he cared.
Of course he finds himself in a pricker bush and I have to get my little guy to come back and I ask my eldest “are you in no man’s land?” I extricate him from the prickers and most of the remainder of the walk was spent avoiding the bear-claw like horror of the prickers. Never mind that the path is about six feet wide in most areas and the prickers only lie at the edges.
My youngest won’t be three until the end of march but he was such a trooper: running to catch up, never complaining, and being an all-around joy with his curved, brittle walking stick.
My oldest was inquisitive, excited, and steered clear of those prickers at every turn, straightaway, and reverse.
So maybe I don’t think there is anything unnatural. Maybe you do. When you find a square circle, let me know.
In the meantime, I’m going to walk in the woods with my boys, naturally.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...