Friday, September 23, 2016

Vandiehards©



If you follow any of my nonsense here you know that I possess absolutely no objectivity with regard to my children. None. Nada. Guilty as charged.
However, recall can be objectively measured and I feel safe in saying that Julian’s recall is downright kuh-ray-zee.
Example: on the lovely commute in to Providence (providence means god’s plan and in this case god plans for you to be stuck in traffic going 7 miles per hour on 95 north) this morning, I went to switch the radio station when Julian yells:
“No, turn it back. I want the rocker! That song was in Angry Birds.”
Ok. Analysis.

1.       He saw Angry Birds months ago and he only saw it once.
2.       The song was Paranoid by Black Sabbath and I know he hasn’t heard that since he saw Angry Birds, which again, was months ago.
So he sees a movie once, months ago, which contains a song for which only a portion is played, which was one of many in the movie, and somehow recalls all this months later after hearing just a few bars.
At this point you may be thinking Shannon, what the hell are you doing, letting the kid listen to Black Sabbath?
Anyhoo, this got me thinking about music on my lunchtime walk.
I thought about the fact that juju can distinguish genres of music which got me thinking about genres of music and how, when you think about it, Van Morrison is kinda his own genre. Which got me thinking about Astral Weeks which got me saying that first line:
“If I ventured into the slipstream…”

Ok. Analysis #2.
1.       Venture - a risky or daring journey or undertaking.
2.       Slipstream - an assisting force regarded as drawing something along behind something else.
Are you willing to venture into the slipstream, bold enough to go into the vacuum behind the body where you could feel weightless but can also fall out into the abyss?
Now Vandiehards© won’t disagree and there is a reason I named my last band Common One but for the neophytes let me offer the following for the van-love.
Jimmy Fallon’s first musical guest on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was Van the man and when he was introducing him he talked about getting lost in Astral Weeks.
But be careful. You might get lost in Astral Weeks.


Postscript:
You might be wondering, what comes after “If I ventured into the slipstream”?
“Between the viaducts of your dreams.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...