Tuesday, March 27, 2018

If Your Last Name is Erikson, Should Your First Name Be Erik? And Other Existential Queries

Filled in for my wife last night and lectured for her Intro to Psych course. It was the chapter on lifespan.

And of course it got me thinking. As if I need to prep for a lifespan lecture to over-analyze my life and my parenting style and if my kids are attached to me and if I am de facto in the middle of a mid-life crisis and did I leave the iron on?

But maybe you know about Erikson and his psychosocial stages of development and maybe you know there are conflicts at certain stages of life and that we, typically, resolve these conflicts positively or negatively.

And maybe you are a complete success in every facet of your life and don't worry about such inanity.

Bully for you but Ima (in the parlance of our times) share anyway.

Middle Adulthood:

Generativity vs. Stagnation:

Through child rearing, caring for others, productive work, and community involvement, the adult expresses unselfish concern for the welfare of the next generation.

or

Self-indulgence, self-absorption and a preoccupation with one's own needs lead to a sense of stagnation, boredom, and a lack of meaningful accomplishments. 

Sheesz, exclude the middle a little bit more there Erikson.

Where is the nuance my man? Where is the spectrum? You know a little bit here a little bit there, sometimes more than others.

Have you seen the next generation? They need a whole lot more than my unselfish concern. They might need breathable air and drinkable water.

And define meaningful. Some of my tweets are pretty profound!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...