Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Most Beautiful Way



My littlest guy is 2 today. (Note, word doesn’t recognize littlest as incorrect: sign o the times?)
And in the parlance of our times (Lewbowski reference) he is adorbs. Totes.
Fatherhood is so much harder than I thought it would be. I adored my father and I am wondering if some of that had to do with me being the 5th of six kids and my father being so much more at ease with parenting after 4 kids. I know I am more at ease with just the second child.
So while it is challenging to the nth degree, the rewards are truly transcendent, even for this humanist.  But here is where it gets weird, because I am weird most likely; the rewarding feeling comes in the most mundane activities, and usually when I am not even involved.
I listened to my little guy play with star wars figurines the other morning: he was saying “luke” and “solo” and “darth” and I think he even said “I am your father” and some other syllables and I was just overcome with joy listening as I made lunches in the kitchen. I would occasionally pop in to watch and he would have them facing each other turning them to each other to talk and I would just smile from ear to ear reveling in his development and his imagination. It reminds me of when my first little guy made his second transition in daycare. I walked in to pick him up and saw him sitting in his little chair at the little table and just beamed with pride.
I understand these are not monumental accomplishments in their lives and I do not understand why these moments grab me but for some reason they stop me, put me in the moment and help me realize the beauty that is not only their lives but also mine and how they are intertwined in the most beautiful way. 
[clip coming soon]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...