Monday, April 22, 2024

Rustin, The 60's, and Shotgun


I caught a bad cold, from my son (parenting amirite?) and didn't have the oomph to practice my geetar or record anything so I (record scratch, gulp)...watched tv.

One movie was Rustin. This was a fine movie with a great lead and a relevant subplot but, what hit me, upon the conclusion of the movie, is that I've never protested or marched...for anything. 




It's more than a little bit disconcerting to think of myself as never having stood (marched, protested) for anything. 

Now of course some of this is me being a gen Xer and the zeitgeist I was thrown (the german geworfenheit) into but there are certainly gen Xers that have marched and have protested, and I'm sure, put there lives on the line for something they believed in. They stood for something. 

So the "ok boomer" meme hits a little differently when I think about someone who marched on Washington, who protested Vietnam, who had peers/friends/lovers killed in Nam or Kent State. 

Who am I to judge?

Imagine the wherewithal to participate in the March on Washington.  


(My inner George Carlin sarcastically says, "You were in Hands Across America...for a whole 5 minutes!)

Man, to experience the 60's. What that must have been like. To feel invested in ideas like freedom and equality, as opposed to materialism and battling cultural ennui.

I keep coming back to this, almost Hemingway kind of idea, that I haven't experienced much. Its as if I thought I was by going to college and living in Athens and playing in bands, and all before getting married at 40 and having my first child at 41...but movies like this, that hit right, make me think 

I've never been hit with a billy club protesting for equality
I've never stood my ground fighting for freedom
I've never been tear-gassed or water-hosed or had German shepherds sicced on me for someone else's dignity, or my own

Hold on it gets worse. 


Would I have?


If I had been a child of the 60's. What would I have done? 

Who am I when you control for the zeitgeist? 


On a lighter note, there was a song in the movie, again I'm an Xer, that encapsulates the music of the 60's. I have never taken a deep dive into 60's music per se, but I have been on the planet 53 years and have listened to some music and man, just the first 4 bars and the intro sax lines scream THE 60"s! I am referring to Shotgun by JR Walker and The All Stars:


Hell yeah. Give me an Ab and just kill it! 

I don't know who I would have been in the 60's but I hope I would have appreciated Shotgun. 

"We gonna break it down, baby now."


1 comment:

  1. https://www.npr.org/2024/04/26/1247527512/columbia-university-protests-1968-2024-history

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...