Thursday, February 15, 2018

Worth The Price of Admission


On the treadmill this morning I saw the millionth commercial for the Black Panther movie. Maybe it was the over-advertising but it just got me thinking about how I will probably never see this movie and moreover, if I do end up seeing the movie, I probably won't like it. If I don't fall asleep.

Then I imagined the retorts of the people who are waiting with baited breath to see it and how they might intimate I am a snob when it comes to movies and how I think I am too good for superhero movies. 

I am not too good for any movie, the balance in my checking account proves this. My love for Airplane, Murder By Death, and Police Academy 1 and 2! prove I am not too good for any movie.

I would just say in this fictitious argument that I don’t appreciate, for the most part, superhero movies. I am more interested in willpower than I am super powers. I might also remind folks that the vast majority of movies are made for 15 year old boys.

I am not 15.

I also imagined the naysayers asking me “well if you don’t like superhero movies, what do you like?”

I don’t get to see a ton of movies because in addition to the treadmill at 5am I am on the treadmill of life with two tots and  a two hour commute every day…

BUT!

I can say that recently I really liked Wind River and Get Out.

Both movies had actors that were superb in scenes in which they had to be on the edge of emotions. Not fully immersed buy oh so close, could fall in, but avoids. This has to be hard for an actor and in both movies I appreciated these scenes immensely.

Which got me to thinking…about picking a scene from a movie that is worth the price of admission.

What is one scene in a movie you think is worth your $18 bucks?

This scene is one minute and seventeen seconds long but Renner makes it priceless.


And here, in a mere 2:27, Betty Gabriel just gets so deliciously close to falling in, dangling over the cliff but, with all of her might, doesn't fall in.

Worth the price of admission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...