Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Half-Marathon



I am supposed to run a half-marathon on Saturday.

I paid to run a half-marathon on Saturday.

I trained to run a half-marathon on Saturday.

It will be my first half-marathon since my eldest was born [gulp] 2011.

Have I trained enough?

Probably not.

And not one single mile of training was on a road. My parenting and career responsibilities requires me to train on a treadmill. I don’t like to run in the dark so this means the YMCA treadmill at 5m on weekdays. On the weekends I take the tots to the YMCA where they can play in the family center but this means I cannot leave the facility…so all long runs have been on [gulp] a treadmill.

They call it pounding the pavement for a reason. 

I am nervous. Or am I anxious? Am I scared, frightened, worried, upset, beguiled or just all out of whack? I am never all out of whack as I keep a little bit in the downstairs bathroom in case of an emergency.

Was thinking it would be nice to have my tots see me finish but Ima (totally a word) little scared I will look like a mess of skin and bones hobbling over the finish line due to under-training. My long run was 12 which is legit (thanks Hammer!) but my weekly mileage isn’t quite up to snuff and again, treadmill miles are a different animal. Which gets me thinking, how is Different Animal not a band name?

Anyhoo, Imascaret!

But there is beer at the finish line so…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...