Monday, May 16, 2016

Gender and Hunger



Gender.
It’s an issue now.
Some say it is only biological.
Would these same people say that hunger is only biological?
One of my funner lectures for intro to psych is one on hunger and eating. To help them understand the difference between biological hunger and psychological eating, I play this bit from Louis CK:

I'm a little hungry. I mean, I feel hungry. I think that's what... Americans shouldn't say "I'm hungry," they should say "I feel hungry." If you ate today, you shouldn't say "I'm hungry." Hunger's a real thing. I don't have "third world" hunger. I have "first" world hunger. I would like a donut. Some people say "I'm starving." That's offensive! [ mimicking ] "I'm STARVING! I haven't eaten since TWO, I'm STARVING!" Don't say that! Because some people ARE starving, and THEY don't say it! You never see a little kid in Africa with his ribs showing, he's like, "I'm STARVING right now! I'm like literally starving TO DEATH! It's, like, ANNOYING!"

So ask yourself why you (we, they, humans) overeat when we have this perfectly functioning mechanism called hunger to guide us.
Answer: we are psychological beings, with all the blessings and curses therein; prone to thoughts and feelings…that are not like gears in a machine. 
Perhaps also not like genitalia in a body?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In The Static

He had about 4 hours and 30 minutes. He, like Jack London, was going to use his time. What else did a man have…but time? Christians hav...